St. Alban’s Episcopal Church was established in October of 1904. It is the longest serving church at the same location in the Stuttgart area. This building was built as a memorial to Bishop Philander Chase of Ohio. His family donated his communion cup and paten that he carried in his saddlebags to distribute communion. These treasures remain in the church today.
St. Alban’s is patterned after a English country church and was named for the first English martyr and saint. The church building doubled from its original size when renovations were completed in 1995. In 1952 the Parish Hall was added and in 1959, the former Russian Orthodox Church from Slovak, Ark., was moved to the grounds and converted into children’s classrooms and a nursery. In 1999, a memorial garth, or prayer garden, was built and dedicated to Mark Townsend, a faithful member of St. Alban’s and respected community leader and businessman. A collumbarium was added to the garth in 2018 in memory of Asher Brooklyn “Bit” Ray.
St. Alban’s has always invited the public at large to use our worship space. It is a church where the past and the present fit seamlessly together.